Marriage, Birth, and Fertility:
• Hands on Hips - Based on the Mother Goddess. This motif is usually used only when
the weaver has given birth to a boy to express the pride of the mother.
• Ram's Horn - Expresses fertiliy, heroism and power.
• Fertility - These are often stylized versions of wheat and pomegranate, which symbolizes
• Hair Band - Expresses the yearning of a young woman to get married. Young village
girls typically keep their hair long until marriage.
• Earrings - Because it is a traditional marriage present, this motif represents a girl's
desire to get married.
• Chest - Representing the dowry chest, this motif expresses a girl's yearning to get
• Ying&Yang - Expresses love and unity.
• Star - Represents happiness.
Protection of life, land, and possessions:
• Burdock - This motif is based on a plant with burrs, which is believed to ward away
evil. At our wedding, my mother and aunts kept this plant burning throughout the ceremony.
• Comb - Represents the weaver's desire to get married, as well as the wish to keep evil
away from marriage and birth.
• Amulet - Many people wear amulets with small scrolls of paper inside them to ward away
• Eye/Evil Eye - This motif is believed to keep away the Evil Eye.
• Cross - The cross is believed to keep away evil by splitting it into four and reduce
|Motifs for the Protection of Life, Land, and Possessions
• Tree of Life
Strength and Power/Longevity:
• Birds of Prey
|Marriage, Birth, and Fertility Motifs
Essentials of life:
• Running Water - Also expresses the wish for life to continue smoothly, like the running
|Essentials of Life Motifs
Protection of life:
• Dragon - Dragons are mythical creatures with beaks, wings, and lion's feet. They are
believed to be the ruler of the sky. They are also the protector of treasures and sacred objects, such as the Tree of Life.
• Scorpion - In a similar way to the Evil Eye motif, weaving a scorpion into a carpet
is believed to keep real scorpions away.
• Wolf Mouth - Many people who make carpets, make their livelihood by herding sheep and
goats. Wolves are dreaded animals, which can wipe out entire herds in mintues. Therefore, by weaving wolf motifs into the
carepts, people try to keep wolves away.
|Motif for the Protection of Life
|Eastern Turkey Malatya Kilim
|Carpet ID: HYA405. Price: $350 USD